Saturday, November 16, 2013

Arkham Origins, Part 6 - Meta Game Review

Well, I'm back - not the Caped Crusader whose case files you have been reading over the past weeks, but the humble blogger who so enjoys occupying the skin of his favorite childhood superhero. As extremely loyal followers of my Twitter feed already know, I finished the story mode of Batman: Arkham Origins about a week ago and found the final encounter(s) with Bane all the way through to the dramatic denouement at the prison chapel to be somewhat underwhelming. I know Arkham City - arguably one of the best games of all time - is an extremely hard act to follow, and I heard the rumors that primary studio Rocksteady was pulled to work on the next (read: PS4) game in the Arkham series. But I have to believe that WB Games Montréal could have mustered up a more compelling final boss than a carbon copy of the fight we already had with Bane, followed by a much less nuanced version of the Mr. Freeze fight from Arkham City.

But just because I'm overly critical of the ending, doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy playing most of Arkham Origins. A friend of mine described the game as "standing on the shoulders of giants, but not doing much more than that," and while I agree with that statement, it's always fun to cavort around Gotham City as Batman. And there were actually some elements of this game that I enjoyed more than the previous installments, such as the much more detailed and involved leveling up system and the extremely impressive crime scene investigation feature. And I will say that the side missions are arranged in such a way that it's actually fun to wander around the city completing them rather than it feeling like a chore. And I was a fan of the shock gloves in particular, even if it made Batman's hands and forearms look even more bulky and Gears of War-ish.


Now here's what I didn't like about the Origins experience. Number 1 has to be the bugginess. I know that with a map roughly three times the size of Arkham City, you should expect a fair amount of open world jank. But when such programming limitations keep you from actually completing the objectives of the game - such as in the above video of me trying desperately to interrogate an Enigma data handler - that's out of the realm of acceptability. Also, what is up with him being called Enigma instead of Riddler? Granted I'm assuming the name change comes after collecting all the datapacks and destroying all the relays (I'll get around to completing those missions after I finish playing my buddy's copy of Bioshock Infinite, which I temporarily traded for my copy of The Last of Us), but I struggle to see how that trope could possibly add anything to the villain's character. In my opinion, it's much more interesting when he simply introduces himself as The Riddler.

Firefly was one of the assassins in the main story mode.
My other main beef was with the story, particularly the extremely convenient side effect of Venom that it permanently damages its user's memory. This is far too perfect a deus ex machina to deal with the fact that in this universe, much like Christopher Nolan's, Bane knows Batman's secret identity. It's just a damn good thing he didn't get around to telling his army of mercenaries before he perma-fragged his brain with his ultra-steroids. And what's the significance of having eight assassins? Since it was Christmas themed, they could have at least gone with 12, like in the song. And why were some of them integral to the main story while others were relegated to optional side missions? And if the assassins were the focal point of the story, why were there other optional side missions involving non-assassin villains? The whole effort just seemed stilted and disjointed to me.

But again, despite all my railing against the shortcomings of this game, I will return to it to eventually finish all the side missions and hopefully level up to capacity (although I'm not sure I will be able to complete some of the Dark Knight Challenges seeing as "predator rooms" are rather scarce what with the story mode completed and all). And it's not just the completionist compulsion I feel that will bring me back - I legitimately enjoy the gameplay and the fun of exploring the city, even if the snow and the few strands of lights here and there fall somewhat short of the Christmasy ambience I was hoping for. But perhaps the main reason I will enjoy going back for more is that I will get to wear the batsuit from the classic 1960s TV show, which I earned for preordering a copy of the game for PS3. It's just too bad they didn't include a hot pants Robin skin as well...

Holy Realistic Physique, Batman!

No comments:

Post a Comment