Friday, November 1, 2013

Arkham Origins, Part 4: Gotham Merchant's Bank and Sionis Steel Mill

Upon emerging from the sewers I encountered a singing telegram of sorts delivered by three rabbit mask-wearing goons, delivering a message from someone called the Hatter. As they concluded their rhyme, just as I was about to engage in this "Very Low Threat" encounter, their masks began to spark and they fell unconscious. I saw how tonight was going - lots of distractions that didn't seem to impact my main objectives whether I went after them or not - and since I knew of a suspicious looking hat shop just across the street from the Gotham Merchant's Bank in the Burnley district, I decided to indulge in a little side quest. Inside the shop, to no great surprise, I encountered a little man dressed as the Mad Hatter from Lewis Carroll's classic tale who had kidnapped some poor blond number and dressed her up as Alice from the same story. He was using some form of extremely potent mind control to keep her from resisting, but whatever he set loose on me was even more potent, transporting my mind into a psychedelic Alice in Wonderland themed platforming adventure.

Even though this character's nefarious kidnapping and cosplay obsession presumably weren't part of Black Mask's plan with the assassins, I could see how this fellow, no matter meek he might appear, could be a very effective contract killer, what with his ability to control minds and all. MY mind, however, was too strong for him and I was able to navigate his mental obstacles and rescue the girl by use of the Reverse Batarang, a tactic that would become useful years later when Ra's al Ghul held his daughter Talia at knifepoint after our battle at his Lazarus Pit in Arkham City. But unlike Talia, this Alice lookalike, once rescued, did NOT maintain her composure - she just kept crying and wailing despite all my reassuring words, showing absolutely no gratitude for the fact that I had just saved her life. I thought this town must really be going downhill if even the hostages have no class...

After taking care of business at the hat shop, I crossed the street with just enough time to stop Joker from accessing Roman Sionis's funds in the bank. Only when I entered the vault, it looked like Sionis's alter ego Black Mask had everything under control... that is until I saw the real (i.e. unmasked) Roman Sionis brought out in handcuffs and beat senseless by whoever had donned his trademark outfit. I knew who it was even before the madman took off the mask and revealed, for the first time, his pale white skin, green hair, and ghastly painted on grin: The Joker. It seems it wasn't enough for him just to steal the money, he had also administered a deadly toxic laughing gas to the Bank Manager, who died with her face in a hideous grin that still haunts me to this day. Oh, and he also blew up the vault, giving me just enough time to dive to (relative) safety - as safe as a bank lobby filled with armed thugs could possibly be. Which for me is actually pretty safe.

After dispatching with the thugs and exiting the bank, I ran into (you guessed it) another distraction. This one was an unattended baby carriage placed in the road by Shiva, not the Fantasy Football trophy, but a little-known ninja sword expert of Asian descent. I chased her around the city a little before heading to Sionis's former Steel Mill because I knew the vital experience I would gain by defeating someone of her caliber would aid me not only in this quest, but in quests for years to come. [A metagame note here: the Critical Strikes upgrade unlocked by defeating Shiva is frequently the very first upgrade I purchase when playing Arkham Asylum (and believe me, there have been enough times to gather a considerable sample size). The fact that it's not available until so late in the game suggests that Batman somehow learned this extremely useful move during first encounter with Shiva, which is an effective use of the "your enemies define you" flavor.]

I fought my way through the Steel Mill, gathering an important piece of information in the process: Roman Sionis had a pacemaker installed due to the very real Long QT Syndrome. This fact was referenced before when I "reconstructed" the crime scene at Lacey Towers (when Penguin was nosing around the crime scene before the police got to it, he was visibly distressed at not finding a pacemaker scar on the body of the Black Mask decoy shot by Joker), but since it seemed out of place to see it then anyway, I just pretended that it was a bit of new information I got through hacking Black Mask's computer. After taking out an armored enforcer - a big mini-boss type character that makes me feel more like I'm playing Streets of Rage 2 than Arkham City - and clearing out a group of Joker's henchmen from the secret underground drug lab for which the Steel Mill was merely a front, I found the Italian gangster bound up in his office. I freed the poor bastard and was about to get into some world class interrogating, when I was suddenly ambushed and poisoned by another dextrous female assassin known as Copperhead.

The snake-inspired killer (just take a look at that tongue) had a deadly bite, but thankfully I was able to analyze the scene enough to find a sample of her poison, scan it, and send details to Alfred in the Batcave. He quickly formulated an antidote and sent it to me in the Batwing for an airdrop, but the catch was I had to make it up to ground level to reach the canister. On the way up, the poison caused some traumatic hallucinations, including one of Alfred being very mean to me, and haunting visions of two people I had failed to save that night: Commissioner Loeb and the still-grinning Bank Manager. I also had to do some hand-to-hand combat with Copperhead while doped up on poison, which gave the illusion that there were multiple copies of her (again, think back to the desert-based hallucinations of Ra's al Ghul brought on by drinking the Lazarus chemical in Arkham City). After a few tries (those hallucinations do make things a bit more forgiving) I held her (them?) off long enough to give myself a deep injection of antidote and finish off the pendejo (pendeja? She started it, it was her word for me) once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment