Wednesday, July 7, 2010

All-Stars: AL Player Ballot

To continue my five-part preview of the 2010 All-Star game, here are the players voted to the AL squad via the player ballot.

Really? The players themselves get to decide which players accompany the fan-voted starters on the All-Star team? I have to plead ignorance regarding how long this has been the case. Judging by Bill Plaschke's whining, it wasn't always this way.

I agree with Bill's problems with the practice: too much of it could be based on reputation rather than talent. I assume that there are restrictions in place preventing players from voting for themselves (to avoid a Pirate King scenario... I can't believe I just linked to that movie, I hated that movie), but there can't be similar restrictions against voting for one's friends/family/or even teammates. But so it goes.

AL Player Ballot: BATTERS

-->
POS Name swp swp/g Team WAR
C Victor Martinez* 823 12.5 BOS 1.2

John Buck 678 10.6 TOR 1.6
1B Miguel Cabrera 1,385 18.5 DET 3.3
2B Dustin Pedroia* 1,140 15.6 BOS 3.6

Ian Kinsler 723 13.4 TEX 1.9
SS Elvis Andrus 893 12.1 TEX 1.2
3B Adrian Beltre 1,085 14.3 BOS 3.0
OF Vernon Wells 1,129 14.5 TOR 1.4
OF Jose Bautista 1,094 14.0 TOR 1.9
OF Torii Hunter 1,040 13.9 LAA 2.2
DH David Ortiz 962 14.8 BOS 1.6

The (*) symbol denotes a player who will not be able to participate due to injury. The player directly below him is his replacement.

(Also, I apologize if the formatting of the charts isn't quite as uniform as I'd like it (weird underlining or different fonts/sizes). If you're a purist, usually opening the individual post on its own will solve the problem.)

The first thing I noticed about the ballot is the absence of Kurt Suzuki, a better/more well-rounded catcher than Buck. But I guess the players love a good lots-of-power-out-of-nowhere story (also see Jose Bautista with his league-leading 20 home runs at the halfway point, already a career high).

Cabrera at first might end up having the highest swp of any All-Star, but it's likely his defense that gives him a lower WAR than starting first baseman Justin Morneau. I can't help but feel vindicated by the presence of Elvis Andrus, my choice for starting shortstop.

It's a shame that both the player ballot and the fan ballot include spaces for dedicated DH's. Not that the Joe Girardi will have any danger of running out of players with a roster of 34, but of those 34, two can't play in the field at all, and two more can't play beyond first base. I guess we can expect lots of pinch hits.

AL Player Ballot: PITCHERS

-->
POS Name swp swp/g Team WAR
SP David Price 1,142 76.1 TB 2.7

Clay Buchholz 977 65.1 BOS 2.6

Jon Lester 1,193 74.6 BOS 3.5

Phil Hughes 958 68.4 NYY 1.1

Cliff Lee 1,134 94.5 SEA 2.9
RP Neftali Feliz 996 28.5 TEX 1.1

Mariano Rivera 952 32.8 NYY 1.7

Jose Valverde 1,021 30.0 DET 1.7

I'll show you the numbers for the NL pitchers next time, but I'll give you a spoiler: the AL just doesn't have as scary a combo as Halladay, Lincecum, Josh Johnson, and Ubaldo Jimenez. Lee has been awesome, but in roughly 2/3 of the starts as his counterparts. Otherwise, I see four stellar pitchers, but not one lights-out, unreal, season-on-the-line ace type. But maybe I just lack the imagination of the players.

I was surprised at Phil Hughes's low WAR, since the general reaction to his season has been amazement. But I was not so surprised at the low WARs of the relievers. It's like guru-Neyer always says: a pitcher who throws 60-70 innings, however dominant, won't help your team as much as a pitcher who throws 180-200 innings.

You'll notice their inflated swp, but that's because saves are totally and completely overrated (30 swp per save - the same as wins, which are also totally overrated!). But that's where the stars come out: at the end of the game, in close situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment