Thursday, November 19, 2009

Divisional All-Stars

Wow, I didn't expect to publish so many lists all rapid fire like that. I guess I just got carried away!

Anyway, now I'd like to embark on a new list-themed project, one that focuses on the best players of each division. I call it: The 2009 Divisional All-Star Roster Project. I will essentially compile a roster (starting lineup, pitching rotation, and bullpen) for each division, made up of the best players at each position. I'll also compile a "Wild Card" roster featuring the best of the second-bests: the best players out of all the players who failed to make one of the three divisional teams. Eight rosters in all: East, Central, West, and Wild Card for the AL and the NL.

Sound complicated? It's really not. But there are a couple more guidelines to go over.

In each of the starting lineups, AL and NL alike, I've included a DH spot, just for the sake of rounding out each one with a traditional starting 9. The player who fills this spot need not have played as a DH during the season; it's just an opportunity to feature one more big bat and give some credit where it's due.

As expected, I'll use swp to determine who makes these teams. For players who changed teams mid-season, I'm using their full-season aggregate swp, but they're only eligible for inclusion on the team of the division in which they spent the majority of the 2009 season.

These rules look more complicated when written out in general than when they're put into practice. Don't worry, I'll include plenty of illuminating commentary with each list to help clarify the decision process and some conclusions that can be drawn from each one.

Who's excited for some more lists that, taken together, will provide a pretty comprehensive picture of all the best players of 2009? I know I am! And since I'm the author of this blog, that means there are LISTS ON THE WAY!!!1

No comments:

Post a Comment