Saturday, October 24, 2009

ALCS Game 6

Ach, I knew I couldn't stay away! I have checked out, analytically speaking, until the World Series, but here are some purely emotional reactions before tonight's game:

* I want the Yankees to win. There, I said it. Sure, I share in the baseball community's mutual dislike for the financial juggernaut that buys whoever they want and builds a stadium to comically enhance their offense. But as a team, no matter who they sign, no matter what the dimensions are down the right field line, I will always root for the Yankees over the Angels.

Yeah, Mike Scioscia's club has a scrappy makeup and a never-say-die attitude, but to me, they'll always just be the Anaheim Scum, with a marketing department that tries to muscle in on the Dodgers' demographic, and fans that spit on anyone who shows up at "The Big A" wearing A's gear. That's just how I feel about the matter.

* If (goffabid) the Angels were to go to the World Series against the Phillies, I would be forced to root for the Phils despite what they did to the Dodgers. That's how deep my dislike of the Angels goes. I don't want to root for the Phillies because they beat up on the Dodgers, ergo I'm pulling for the Yankees so I'll have someone to support in the Fall Classic.

* The only reason I was pulling for the Angels yesterday is so C.C. Sabathia could get an extra day's rest before his Game 1 start against the Phillies. I know the man can pitch on three (or probably even two if he wanted to) days rest, but it would be nice to have Ace vs. Ace to start off the Series.

* The Yankees were a better team than the Angels this year, so I have absolutely no qualms about supporting them. Whenever my favorite team is up against a better team, I always pull for my fave, but I also (sometimes) feel a little guilty about it. I like when the best teams are rewarded with a spot on the biggest stage, and I have little to no sympathy for the underdog. And in this particular ALCS, I don't feel enough animosity towards the cash crazy Yankees to make me change my position on this.

Here's hoping for a Marquee Matchup in Game 1....

3 comments:

  1. We're not friends anymore. The fact that anyone not-directly a Yankees fan by birth can even stomach to root for that...team...makes me disappointed in humanity.

    I thought better of you Pankin. I thought better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - As punishment, I'm going to text message you Adam Leverone's and Jesse Openheim's facebook status updates every time they post during the games so that you can know who you're rooting with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To give you a taste, here are some highlights from game 6:

    "Just pitch the god damned ball, Andy."
    "Swisher just crossed the plate. First time in 6 games. Good job, clown."
    "Jeter better not mess that up again."
    "MARIANO, LEARN TO THROW A CURVEBALL!"
    "8 [6] years...FINALLY!"

    Words of praise for his beloved team from a true Yankees fan.

    ReplyDelete