Friday, October 28, 2011

Arkham City Post #7: Taking Out the Sensor Jammers

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

Part 6: Questions Questions with the Riddler

There was one more obstacle preventing me from actually getting inside the Museum once I reached it, all the way in the Southwest corner of the city, in the "Bowery."  See, when you look at this city - Gotham - the way it's built, the way it looks, and how it feels, and then you see neighborhoods like the Bowery, how can you help but think of New York?  But when you see the gleaming and smoking Industrial District (to the Southeast), it does kind of recall the feel of Pittsburgh.  Which is probably what they'll focus on in that movie being filmed about me in Pittsburgh.

http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2817

Anyway, that one obstacle was the Sensor Jammers.  I had to find and destroy three of them, because they were preventing me from using my Cryptographic Sequencer, which I needed to get through Penguin's security.  The Sensor Jammers were located all throughout the city, but the last one was buried deep inside the Subway Tunnels... which incidentally ran directly under the TYGER Restricted Area directly in the middle of the city, with the towering bank of searchlights rising up over high barbed-wired walls like a giant panopticon, and out of which anti-aircraft fire streams towards you if you try to glide into it.  The tunnels might be a useful entry point if it comes to any REAL sneaking around in Big Brother's Corporate HQ.

I also found another Titan container in the Subway.  I wasn't even keeping track of them on my map, just kind of blowing one up whenever I came across it.  And, hey, it looked like I was making some progress on my side quest to remove the Titan threat from Arkham City.  The concept of working with Bane for this mission in and of itself was not altogether alien to me... at least not in the unbridled, wildman, survival of the fittest Anarchy of Arkham City.  I'll tell you what, I don't object to lot of what these costumed super-villains are doing, on principal... It's just that so many of them get caught up in dumb criminal schemes that make me feel obligated to fight the shit out of them and get them off the streets.  Call it a superior moral compass, or call it compulsion, but it's totally defined me as a hero.  But in Arkham City, it's just such an every-man-for-himself, Will to Power environment, with the only structure (literally and figuratively) coming in the form of a wall around the perimeter.  Sometimes Strange Alliances are formed when a high-level vigilante is thrown into a land grab between factions of thugs controlled by three of the DC Universe's most powerful villains ever dreamed up...

But seemingly in exchange for making progress on the afore-named side mission involving Bane, I ran into another pressing radio broadcast on the way back to the Museum.  A murder victim in an alley, whose face had been cut off and bandaged; not by Hannibal Lecter, but by a man who (according to eyewitness statements) looked just like Bruce Wayne.  Seeing as I have encyclopedic knowledge of Gotham's police records, I recognized that murders with this M.O. had been popping up all over the city.  The papers were calling the killer "The Identity Thief."  Looks like Gotham's most publicized billionaire playboy was the latest victim, in a sense.  In another vey real sense, though, the murder victim was the victim.  And in yet another very real sense, I had just picked up a sixth, by my count, side mission to worry about.  Add to that Hugo Strange's voice coming over the TYGER Security radio, announcing that Protocol Ten would commence in a matter of single-digit hours.  This was going to be one hell of a night...

Part 8: Shark Repellant Bat BEAT DOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment