Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Arkham City Post #6: Questions Questions with The Riddler

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!



But on my way to the Museum to bust into Penguin's headquarters, I intercepted a radio frequency from Arkham Security that Officer Cash's medical team had disappeared from the Church.  I couldn't go losing allies, regardless of how dire my medical situation might soon become (what with some of Joker's Titan-infected blood coursing through my veins and all), so I resolved to go save them.  When I arrived at the scene, who's annoying mug should I see projected onto a screen hanging from the church ceiling but Edward Nygma's.  So it The Riddler was behind kidnapping the medical team, putting some urgency behind his taunt that solving his riddles was a matter of life and death.

Nygma was broadcasting from an encrypted frequency, and he wouldn't give me more clues as to where the hostages were kept until I solved a riddle located somewhere in the church: "This instrument always plays from the heart."  It didn't take me long to recognize the large pipe organ - not only was it the only instrument in the building, but the body part terminology was easy to spot.  As a reward for my correct answer, Nygma told me that the first hostage was located in the courthouse, where I had left Two-Face strung up.

As I left the church, I ran into a thug I recognized as having had some dealings with Riddler.  If I was able to interrogate him, I could use the information to find out more about the hostages.  Or, barring that, at least more information about the locations of those damn Riddler trophies, which are always welcome sources of experience-providing w00tz.  It also opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me going forward through the city, as Riddler Informants (highlighted green by my Detective Mode) would pop up in random groups of thugs.  This meant I had to keep each informant conscious as I took out the rest of the group to allow for interrogation.  A little extra challenge, but it was worth it to add those little question marks to my map.

After I freed the first hostage from the Courthouse, he gave me the frequency on which Riddler was sending his broadcasts.  Great, I thought, now I'll have to listen to his irritating taunts through the remainder of this adventure.  But when I tuned to the frequency using the Cryptographic Sequencer, I just heard The Riddler's voice on loop giving a clue for another riddle.  This was a word-game, that could only be solved with a strange device, called the Enigma Machine, which was also delivered to me by the hostage.  However I decided that the hostages would have to wait for now, because my mission of finding a cure for my condition seemed more pressing at the moment - otherwise, I wouldn't be able to save anybody OR defeat Strange.

But as I thought about letting those hostages sweat for a while, I felt a little relieved to see The Riddler taking an active role in this particular scheme.  He was little more than an ominous voice hiding from the shadows during my last adventure, and actually getting to look at his face made it a very distinct reality that I would get to punch it later on.  But my fantasies would have to wait, as I was still a long way from the Penguin's hideout in the Gotham Museum.

Part 7: Taking Out the Sensor Jammers

No comments:

Post a Comment