Thursday, May 3, 2012

This Week on In-Depth Analysis...

Last week I outlined a schedule for the teams I would focus on for a weekly In-Depth Analysis feature.  The first real team (not counting the Aries Rams astrology roster) was going to be the Philadelphia Phillies, due to a convergence of Philadelphia-centeric media/cultural events (National Pretzel Day and an episode of Undercover Boss featuring Philly Pretzel Factory).  But when MLB Network's planned broadcast of the Phillies/Cubs game was preempted by the Dodgers/Nationals game (so that the world could get a look at Bryce Harper's underwhelming Major League debut), the central cog in my Phillies plan fell clattering to the cluttered floor of my blog-workshop.

I was left without a backup team waiting on deck, and the natural choice seemed to be the Phillies' broadcast replacement.  I didn't watch Harper's debut game all the way through, but since the Dodgers are my local team, and thus are on TV that much more frequently (not to mention talked about around the city), I didn't feel I needed to sit down with a particular game of theirs to become familiar with the current roster.

Then when it was announced that the Dodgers' new ownership group officially took control of the team this week, that justified my choice.  And when Jered Weaver of the Anaheim Angels (not OF Los Angeles, or anywhere else aside from Anaheim, or at least Orange County) pitched a no-hitter last night, that completely sealed the deal.  You see, I couldn't give two shits about the Angels (in the parlance of our times), so it seems only right that I try to draw as much attention from them towards the team they're trying to steal market share from.

So sometime this weekend, get ready to hear all about Kemp and Kershaw; Mattingly, Magic and McCourt; and of course the incomparable Vin Scully as the boys in blue become the first team to undergo some... IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment