Thursday, June 15, 2017

Liveblogging Thursday - NYM vs WAS

The last time I watched one of MLB.tv's free games, I liveblogged about some of the Astrological implications of the scoring plays in that game. While I likely won't be able to tune into the entire game today, I thought I'd continue the tradition, at least for the first few innings or so.

Top 1st
Bryce Harper homers to right (1 RBI)

In my last entry, I talked at length about the Libra lineup of which Bryce Harper is arguably the offensive anchor, and he just added to his very impressive 2017 stat sheet with a laser beam shot into the right field bleachers to open the scoring. I haven't submitted anything near my maximum 35 All-Star ballots (per email address), but every time I have voted, I made sure to check the box for Harper.


Top 2nd
Gio Gonzalez comes up lame while running to first base

I'm not sticking to scoring plays in this game because Gio Gonzalez's last at bat gives me the opportunity to say a few more words about my favorite baseball hot button issue, pitchers hitting vs. the designated hitter. Gio Gonzalez is currently the No. 2 starter on a Virgo pitching staff that has been decimated by injuries in the early going - they've lost Noah Syndergaard and Alex Reyes for most of the year, and just recently welcomed back David Price from the DL - and if the Nats' resurgent lefty goes down due to running hard out of the box after a groundout, it will be just another chapter in the fans missing out on the chance to watch a highly talented player for an extended period of time due to an archaic rule and a few stubbornly nostalgic decision makers.

Anyway, speaking of players missing time due to running hard after a groundout, second baseman for both the New York Mets and the Virgo Maidens, Neil Walker, will likely miss a number of weeks after partially tearing his hamstring trying to beat out a bunt single. Fortunately, Jose Ramirez's new eligibility at 2B should allow VIR to not miss a step, but since I only change the lineups once per month, they're going to have to play shorthanded for the next two weeks or so. That's also the reason why the stats I'm presenting below are from closer to 6/1 than 6/15.



Top 3rd
Daniel Murphy ALMOST drives in Bryce Harper on a single,
except for he's thrown out at the plate by Juan Lagares

If the Nationals didn't have a left hander on the mound today, it's very likely Bryce Harper scores on that single up the middle from Daniel Murphy. Let me explain: the Mets' leader in appearances in center field (by just one game, but still) is Curtis Granderson, who hits left handed, and thus is obligated to sit against lefty starting pitchers. Granderson's arm pales in comparison to defensive wizard Juan Lagares, who made another brilliant play to save a run. But mostly I just wanted to talk about Aries, which is once again shaping up to be a very strong contender this year. The most interesting thing about the Rams is not the expected performers such as Nolan Arenado and Chris Sale, but the surprise stars like Yonder Alonso and Travis Shaw whose hot starts have eclipsed long-time contributors like Miguel Cabrera and Carlos Santana. Also worth mentioning: Mets right fielder Jay Bruce is inexplicably in the lineup, even though he does not have the platoon advantage against tonight's opposing starter.



Top 4th
Gio Gonzalez redeems himself by driving in a run with a single (1 RBI)

I guess I could have saved the Virgo entry for when a Virgo player actually did something to contribute to the game's score, but I couldn't resist a chance to speak out in favor of the universal implementation of the DH. Kudos to Gio for staying in the game and not only pitching well enough to keep his team in it, but also for helping his own cause!


Bottom 4th
Jay Bruce drives in Yoenis Cespedes with a double to right (1 RBI)

Maybe I spoke too soon about Gio pitching well enough, as Jay Bruce has just done the unthinkable and gotten an extra base hit off a same-handed pitcher to bring the Mets within one run. But since I've already talked about Aries (the batter) and Virgo (the pitcher) and even Libra (the runner who scored), I have nothing more to say about this play.

No comments:

Post a Comment