Saturday, November 20, 2010

Databases and Withdrawals

Boy, there sure is a wealth of information and emotion that accompanies the end of a baseball season, isn't there? The information: full season statistics for 1,000+ Major League players, just waiting to be studied and organized and analyzed. The emotion: the winners of various prestigious awards, the trades and signings of star players and journeymen alike, the revolutionary discussion to alter MLB's playoff structure after the worst-rated World Series in history. And of course, just the general feeling of letdown and instant nostalgia that seems to instantly hit as soon as the new World Champions wrap up their victory parade.

At the moment, I've been mostly concerning myself with statistics, specifically their study and organization. You might remember my detailed list projects from last year, but for the 2010-11 offseason, I've started another undertaking: a Baseball Database, that includes searchable information in all types of various categories, meaningful and trivial. It's arduous and time consuming, but for me, all sorts of fun. And I hope we can all have some fun with the results, also.

As those projects are underway, I plan for periodic updates in the form of Divisional All-Stars. Then I'll turn my attention to elected All-Stars, award winners. Upon their completion, I additionally have planned a treatise on middle relievers, and a treatise on cleanup hitters.

Then, when I'm clear-headed enough to turn to emotion, I'll do some thinking about the proposed new format for MLB playoffs, which would include an additional Wild Card team per league.

This should put us right in the middle of hot-stove season, but any extensive analysis of trades and new acquisitions will probably be left for the 2011 Season Preview. To this slate, I'd like to add something regarding Top Prospects, but the format remains to be determined.

Oh, the things we do to stave off Baseball-Withdrawal in the Offseason...

No comments:

Post a Comment